Sunday, May 23, 2010

The BIG Day (3)

"This is it! It’s do or die! No turning back!" the thoughts that crossed my mind that morning. :P

I am not sure about others, but I sure sleep well. Especially since it rained that night but the thick blanket able to keep me warm. I managed to wake up around 5am and get ready. By 6am, Kak Ilah and I went downstairs to see Boss. Apparently, Boss had chosen to sleep in the car rather than sneak in into the boy’s room. Knowing that Boss has arrived late the night before, we gathered everybody at the compound first, then only proceed to wake him up.


Iklan


This lodging was not included in our package. Boss managed to get it for us at a student rate which is RM15 per person per night. So, we gathered and listened to the the last leg of briefing and some motivational words from Boss.

"you guys can do it! I've guided a 60++years old man and even a 3years old boy"
"OK..after this...u guys walk around a bit for some warm up... i'll take ur bags in my car and wait up at the registration place"

(Translated :P )




Apparently we do not really listen to what Boss was saying. I am not sure what goes in everybody mind, but we did not double confirm with him the exact location to meet him up again. Although some of us was quite sure it is the Kinabalu Park, but the head of the pack(name kept secret), went straight up. 500m....1km...1.5km... and we are still not there yet! We started to question whether we are on the right track. I wanted to call Boss, but my handphone is in the bag. My bag is with Boss in his car! Finally, the head of the pack managed to clarify with some locals and we made a turn back to Kinabalu Park. Thanks to everybody for being so sporting and able to laugh about it. So, this might really be our "warm up" which help us to complete our mission. ;)



Yeay! Here it is!

We are coming for you!

Breakfast given
Photo Session

Excited!

Get another briefing from the guide.
"U ols don't play2 ok...This is serious!"



1st stop - Pondok Kandis


Among the tips being given to us is not to take a lot of rest in between the stations. The longer you stop, the more you waste time and energy. So, we obliged and the first bunch of us(Fazilah, Azleena, Omin, Marlina, Azril and me) just stop for a breather and continued on.



At the early part of the climb, we keep stopping now and then to take photos. At first, it was a fun thing to do.

Then, I started to feel grateful every time the girls stop for photos. This means, I will not be left behind as I can take that time to catch up.




However, after the 5th station, Layang Layang, the trail gets really uphill and tougher. Thus, everytime the rest stop for photos, I will just stay behind to take a rest and even if they call me up for a group photo, my tagline is “Taking photo is not my priority now”. Yes. Drama Queen add Bimbo equals to me. :P


As you approach Villosa, you can see that the forest and environment is completely different. This time, instead of stopping to recover our strength, we also stopped to enjoy the view. Especially once we reach this stage, where we are clearly above the cloud.




Well, actually, at the end of the hike towards Laban Rata, I was pretty much by myself. I really cannot keep up with the rest of the girls. Thus, i keep stopping at each few steps to look around and savor the moments instead. At one point, a guide with 2 of his foreign hikers passed by me. The guide then looks at me and said “It’s really nearby. Just a few minutes. Keep walking” . Not just that, everytime he saw me stopping, he will stop also and wave at me to come forward. Thanks to him who gets very persistent in ensuring I reached Laban Rata, I really did reached it around 1pm!!!!


As it is still early for Dinner which start at 5pm, we laze around at the balcony for some sunbathing moment. :P We also used this time to update our family that we have safely arrived.


From our place, we could see one by one of our group members starting to emerge. Bullert, Abg Azrul and Lily came up and took quite some time for photoshoot session before heading up to Laban Rata.
Then, as most of us arrived, we went inside and fill ourselves with the food we bring such as chocolates and cookies. Hot and plain water are also provided.


Once everybody reached Laban Rata, we went ahead for check in and continued on to our dorm, Gunting Lagadan.


Came back down at 5pm for dinner!!!!

The beauty about climbing Mt Kinabalu is, you do not have to worry on food and accomodations. Just ensure you reach Laban Rata on time. ;)
Next up --> To the top - the famous Lows Peak!
Note:- All photos are credited to Azleena Kassim and Marlina Abd Aziz. I did not take my own photos due to:-
1. I don't own a camera
2. I am too nervous to take photos with my handphone camera
:P I am such a lame blogger like this. Will take note to snap my own photo next time. Thanks a lot girls!

No comments: